Sunday, January 19, 2014

What I Learned This Week 1/13/14-1/18/14

Welcome Back!! 

One new thing that I will be doing this year is a recap of the interesting things I learn each week, and what better time to start than after my first week back at school? Some may be education related, friendship/relationship related or even just random facts that I come across, so each week will definitely be interesting. So lets begin… 

1. My love/hate relationship will a syllabus. 
I am 19 years old and this is my fourteenth year in school, teachers and professors need to understand that I have been able to read since I was five and that if I have questions I will come ask them. Why waste an entire class discussing something that I could read on my own?? This drives me even crazier now that I am in college because by this point in their lives students should not have to rely on their teachers to tell them absolutely everything. If they don't take the initiative to read the syllabus and find out what is due and when, then they deserve to fail. People are not going to hold your hand through your entire life, so you might as well learn to walk alone now. However, I do love syllabi because they keep me on track and help me manage my time, but that is only because I take the time to thoroughly read each one and understand what responsibilities I will have in that class. 

2. I will always love Indiana basketball. 
On Tuesday I had general admission tickets to the Indiana vs Wisconsin basketball game, where Indiana won 75 to 72, and also where I lost my voice for the following two days. It was easily in my top five times that I have gotten truly anxious, excited and angry during a sporting event, and for people that know me that happens with every game I watch, no matter what the sport. And with such a hectic schedule the games are always time when I can just relax with my friends and, usually, let my pent-up anger out. 

3. I love snow, but hate the cold. 
Since I was a little kid I have always loved the snow, watching it fall and covering everything in a bright, white blanket. In the dead of winter when there are no leaves on the trees and everything is dead, snow brightens up my day by adding a little beauty. However, when it snows continuously all week when I am having to run all over campuses for classes and activities I become less fond of it. If it could snow at 30 degrees with no wind it would be perfect, but that's never how it happens. 

4. Hot Pockets are actually good. 
Never in my life did I think I would eat a Hot Pocket and actually enjoy it, but thanks to the cold and snow I gave in and ate one this past week and my eyes have been opened to a new high-calorie, unhealthy world that I will definitely be visiting again. I'm not proud to say that I like them, but dear lord they are good. 

5. You're never too old to revisit the past. 
This past Friday night, a time when college students go out to parties and relax from their stressful week, my best friend and I had another idea in mind. Being the cool kids that we are we decided to stay in, paint our nails, play IU Monopoly, order pizza and watch The Princess Diaries 2. Honestly, it was one of the most relaxing nights that I've had in awhile and a nice change of pace to my usual weekend activities. 

This week I will also be adding another task to my "Year of Firsts," successfully completing inventory at my job. As much as I hear people complain about this task, i'm actually looking forward to it, mainly because it is something that is routine. My OCD comes out quite a bit when completing a routine task, so hopefully all goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment